The US president, Donald Trump, said that the sales of Huawei mobile phones can resume with the American firms. The details about the policy are still not clear though.
Larry Kudlow, White House economic adviser, is all set to host a meeting with semiconductor and software executives on Monday. The meeting will discuss the U.S. ban on sales to China’s Huawei Technologies Co Ltd.
It is also said that Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin will also attend the White House event. Big names like chipmakers Intel Corp and Qualcomm Inc have also been invited to the meeting.
The meeting has been confirmed by a White House official. It is to be noted that Google and Micron would also attend. But he said that the meeting will have discussions about economic matters.
The official, anonymously said, “The subject of Huawei was expected to come up but that it is not the reason why they are convening the meeting.”
Trump’s administration has put Huawei on their blacklist in May for security concerns. This has made the future ties of different US companies with the world’s no. 1 mobile company in an uncertain position.
This move banned U.S. companies to sell most U.S. parts and components to Huawei without special licenses. President Donald Trump, however, said last month that American firms could resume sales, with an eye on reviving trade talks with Beijing.
Commerce Department Secretary Wilbur Ross has said licenses will be issued only when we are sure that there is no threat to national security. The policy updates are expected within a few weeks.
There was no comment from Intel and Qualcomm on the matter. Furthermore, Google, Micron, Microsoft, and Broadcom also did not respond to any requests for comment.